.

.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Failure

Today I went to a baby massage class. There was a brief discussion about breastfeeding/bottle feeding. All the lady was saying was if you are bottle feeding to make it as close to breastfeeding as you can i.e. switch sides, hold baby close etc. She was in no way trying to make me feel bad and wasn't even dissing bottle feeding at all but this little discussion made me feel like a failure. A failure as a mom and a failure as a woman. And as I sat there for the next hour pretty much every single mom there at one point or another nursed her baby. And each time I saw it I just felt worse and worse.

I wanted to nurse my baby! That was my plan! And every now and again something like today happens and reminds me that I don't and that I cant.

At first it was all going fine. I was expecting nursing to be horrible and painful from what everyone was telling me but there was seriously only maybe a few days where it actually hurt for me. I got a tiny blister, put some of that cream stuff on it and a few days later it was fine. After a bit though I kind of thought something was not going right. Roczen was a week old and we were at Winston's baby blessing. And I seriously had no milk. My sisters even made me drink a huge glass of water. At this point I still hadn't even felt my milk come in. Ya, I know I had some but not a lot. My mom, the health nurse, my sisters all kept asking me if I felt the "let down" I had no idea what the heck they were talking about because I felt nothing. My one sister said her boobs kinda tingled when it happened the other said it kinda hurt for her. I didn't feel a let down until he was probably two weeks old. Well he seemed fine for the next little while until he was about 5 weeks old. He was a very content baby and seriously never cried. Then all of the sudden for a whole week straight he cried from the moment he woke up till the moment he went to bed pretty much. I think he probably reached a growth spurt and what little milk I had just wasn't doing it for him anymore. I kept thinking over and over again that he was hungry and I wasn't making enough milk but everyone kind of brushed it off telling me it was colic or gas or something but I just couldn't get the thought out of my head that he was just hungry. I even told my Dr. about it a couple times. The second time I went in he gave me some pills to try to increase my milk. It definitely helped a little bit but not enough.

At the end of that week I seriously just sat there crying with him all day long. I was exhausted. Nothing I did calmed him down. Trying to feed him usually made him more mad. I finally was just so fed up and told Scott to bring home some formula. We made him a 2 oz bottle and he drank it in like 2 minutes, no joke. Ever since he's been on formula he has been a million times happier! At first I was giving him formula and breast milk because I still needed that feeling of doing that. Of feeding my son, of doing what I was made to do. But after awhile he just preferred the bottle and would not nurse at all. He would just cry and scream the whole time I tried. So I started pumping. But after awhile he wouldn't even take the breast milk in a bottle or if he did he'd start crying right after he finished. I really just think there was nothing to my milk haha Back on Winston's blessing day when I had no milk my sister gave me some she had frozen (sorry if this grosses anyone out) I didn't end up using it because I was finally able to feed him that night myself when we got home. But comparing her milk to mine is like night and day. Mine seriously looked worse than skim milk...hers did not haha My thought one day was that I would rather have a happy baby on formula than a baby who cries all day being breast fed. And that is how I made my decision. Even after I stopped giving him the breast milk I kept pumping and freezing it and yes it's still in my freezer. Scott keeps telling me we need to get rid of it and I really don't know why but I just have a mini panic attack each time he suggests it. I don't really know how to explain it but it's kind of my connection to what I wanted and what could have been I don't know haha that sounds retarded but I just feel so sad every time I think of getting rid of it and I just can't do it.

So even though I know that formula was the best decision for us, it's days like today, or days like last week when I read the side of my formula container and even that is telling me that breastfeeding is the best for babies than I feel like a failure all over again.



My cute formula fed baby!
And I'm sure he'll survive...and maybe I will too haha

7 comments:

  1. I know we don't know each other, but i think we're somehow related haha. Just thought i would give my 2 bits about what you wrote. First of all, you should not think of yourself as a failure, like at all! You are doing a great job! So many moms struggle with what you are going through. With my little boy, he would not latch for 2 months! He was bottle fed straight from the womb. So I was pumping, gave him formula, and tried to breast feed him all at the same time. It was too much. I didn't feel bad at all giving him formula. It has everything a baby needs and he didn't seem to mind at all. Some Moms are totally Anti-formula and I just think that is so ridiculous. Millions of moms don't have the option of breastfeeding their baby due to many different reasons. So shame on them if they judge you. I know you want to breastfeed, but it could be worse. The most important thing is that both you and the baby are happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just how you feel! I formula fed Clark and it was really hard for me. I also felt like a failure. Breastfeeding has been hard with all of my babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I breast fed Aaron and Ky and hated every minute of it. It was torture to have to feed them until they were a year. The day they turned one they got a sippy cup and I put on my regular bra. It would stress me out so badly that by the time Abbie came, for my sanity, i decided to bottle feed. It was the best decision of my life. Now I created milk. A lot of milk. Like spray the baby in the face and I'd hold a cup up and it would fill it 1/3 full before the turbo force spray stopped. I had enough milk for twins, probably triplets (my poor breasts will never be the same again!). Anyway, I loved bottle feeding. I got a lot of grief from family (yes, family) and friends because I chose to bottle feed. Most didn't ask why, they just thought I was being lazy. It really hurt my feelings, but I did what I thought was best for me, the other 2 kids, and abbie. With Ky the breast feeding got so bad that I resented her. She would be hungry and I would just sit and cry and cry and cry. What mom wants to resent their own baby?!! Anyway, as parents we do what is best for our kids. If you have no milk, you bottle feed. If you have inverted nipples, you may choose to bottle feed. If you hate breastfeeding and being a human soother, you bottle feed. If you mentally need a break, you bottle feed. There are hundreds and thousands of reasons why. DO NOT LET ANYONE make you feel like you're a failure, because you're not. It is not your fault that your body doesn't perform the way it was intended. I told Mike that if God wanted me to breastfeed he would have made my body work the way it was supposed to. I found a lot of freedom with bottle feeding. But the best part was that Mike got to do it too. Feeding time was no longer a mom and baby activity, it was dad's turn to snuggle the baby when he normally wouldn't have. I find that Abbie and Mike are a lot closer than he is with the other two. And that just might be because she's the baby. lol. Anyway, it warmed my heart to see Mike feeding the baby. It was nice to let him have a little bonding time too. We made a deal that we would always hold the baby, that we'd never prop them up with a blanket tucked under them when she fed. And Abbie didn't hold her own bottle until she was almost a year. And once she turned one, the bottle went away and out came the sippy cup. Just like the other kids. So, the point of this epistle is that we do what is best for our kids and for us. Those who look down at you for bottle feeding are narrow minded and petty. Personally I wouldn't waste my time with them. You are a fabulous mom! My own kids are proof of how great you are with kids! You are fabulous and Roscen will grow up just as normal as breastfed babies. I personally feel that Abbie is the smartest of my kids. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. breastfeeding is HARD, that's all there is to it. Ruby did the same thing. Hit a growth spurt and then would cry and cry and wouldn't nurse and it made my life MISERABLE. I spent a lot of time stressing about how to get more milk, what am I doing wrong, I am a failure, bla bla bla. I would sit and cry and just say WHY ARE YOU CRYING! WHY WON'T YOU EAT!!!! until finally I couldn't take it anymore and decided the same thing you did: a happy, full baby on formula is better than a grumpy hungry screaming breastfed baby. It's sometimes hard not to feel bad, but ultimately it's what best for you (your sanity!) and your baby. Those with no problems breastfeeding are just lucky I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neechel you should never feel bad when you are doing what's best for your baby! There are way too many things out there telling parents that they aren't good enough if they don't feed their child homemade food, and only buy organic clothing and not let them watch tv. It's baloney! Being a parent is not easy and as long as you love your little one unconditionally and try to do what's best for them then you are doing an amazing job. I don't know if you saw this going around facebook but I thought I'd copy it for you!
    To the mom who's breastfeeding: Way to go! It really is an amazing gift to give your baby, for any amount of time that you can manage! You're a good mom.

    To the mom who's formula feeding: Isn't science amazing? To think there was a time when a baby with a mother who couldn't produce enough would suffer, but now? Better living through chemistry! You're a good mom.

    To the cloth diapering mom: Fluffy bums are the cutest, and so friendly on the bank account. You're a good mom.

    To the disposable diapering mom: Damn those things hold a lot, and it's excellent to not worry about leakage and laundry! You're a good mom.

    To the mom who stays home: I can imagine it isn't easy doing what you do, but to spend those precious years with your babies must be amazing. You're a good mom.

    To the mom who works: It's wonderful that you're sticking to your career, you're a positive role model for your children in so many ways, it's fantastic. You're a good mom.

    To the mom who had to feed her kids from the drive thru all week because you're too worn out to cook or go grocery shopping: You're feeding your kids, and hey, I bet they aren't complaining! Sometimes sanity can indeed be found in a red box with a big yellow M on it. You're a good mom.

    To the mom who gave her kids a homecooked breakfast lunch and dinner for the past week: Excellent! Good nutrition is important, and they're learning to enjoy healthy foods at an early age, a boon for the rest of their lives. You're a good mom.

    To the mom with the kids who are sitting quietly and using their manners in the fancy restaurant: Kudos, it takes a lot to maintain order with children in a place where they can't run around. You're a good mom.

    To the mom with the toddler having a meltdown in the cereal aisle: they always seem to pick the most embarrassing places to lose their minds don't they? We've all been through it. You're a good mom.

    To the moms who judge other moms for ANY of the above? Glass houses, friend. Glass houses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your replies! You're all awesome and thanks for the encouragement and letting me know I'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neechel, I love you so much. I think you are doing a wonderful job! Maren was my only baby that I exclusively breastfed, and that's only because she would scream her head off if you tried to give her a bottle....even if it had breastmilk in it! Ha! Blake we had to supplement with Pediasure....not even formula was strong enough for that kid. He was malnourished because he had a tongue tie that my dr wouldn't clip until he started losing weight at 9 months. I lost my milk about3 months in with Evy...I'll never know why. I almost starved her for 3 days because I felt just like you do...then I smartened up and went to the bottle....I never looked back after I saw how she thrived and was so happy. With Micah I was determined to breastfeed again....I mean this was my 4th baby....you'd think I'd know how by now. Well, we both got a WICKED case of Thrush that just would not heal properly. After 6 weeks of INTENSE pain EVERY time we had to nurse, I threw in the towel. You know what. I love every one of my kids, and I don't see any developmental issues with any of them. I am so thankful that we live in a world where technology can help me feed my children and I didn't have to go looking for a neighbor with a good heart to help me out. Please go easy on yourself. You will have plenty of opportunities to feel guilt for mistakes that you will make. And those feelings will be warranted and will help you learn and grow and become a better mother. This is NOT one of those times. Please don't allow yourself to feel inadequacy or guilt for something that is out of your control and is in no way a mistake.

    Oh...and by the way....I need to see this little guy! He is SO stinkin cute and I'm missing out on it all. One day me and the kids are going to just show up at our house and demand to play with him!! HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete