.

.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sleep training: Day one

Well last night was our first night of sleep training and it went way better then I ever expected it would. I have no idea if I'm doing it right or if there even is a "right" way since theres about a million different ways you can do it.

I knew from the very beginning I wouldn't be able to do cry it out. At least not at this point anyways. If in a month or two he's still not sleeping good then I might give it a try. But since the day he was born, the second he started crying I'd have to pick him right up. I just couldn't listen to him cry at all. Makes me too sad haha The past two months I've been better at letting him cry a bit because it did end up getting a bit ridiculous and I couldn't get anything done because I had to hold him at all times or he'd cry.

In a book I was reading it said at his age he can still be getting up once a night to eat so I'm not even fully sleep training him. Just reducing his eating times from 2 to 1. He would get up around midnight and then 4. So after to talking to my sister Shayla I decided to cut the 4 o'clock feeding out because thats what she does and everything she does is right! haha jks but it made sense. For about 3 or 4 weeks straight Roczen would sleep from like 7:30-4:00 eat then go back to sleep but for the past 2 or 3 weeks he started the midnight and 4 o'clock thing again and I had had enough. Plus I had noticed that the past few days he takes forever to eat his bottle at the 4 o'clock feeding and then he'd only eat half his bottle 3 hours later so I knew he probably wasn't too hungry and didn't need to be eating. So I was finally ready to give this sleep training a try.

So last night he got up at 1:15 (We put him to bed quite a bit later because we were at a wiener roast. probably not the best night to start sleep training but whatever) Anyways so he woke up and I fed him and he went right back to sleep like he always does. Then he woke up at 3:45 now THIS was the part I was dreading. I wasn't going to feed him this time and thought he was going to scream until 6:00 which I designated as the next time he was able to eat.

So I went in and put his soother in, re-wrapped him because his arm had come out and patted his bum for like 5 seconds. Initially he did cry because he thought I was going to pick him up and feed him like I normally do. But he only cried while I wrapped him and put his soother in so after I patted his bum I left and went back to bed expecting to be getting up very soon to comfort him again. But he went right to sleep and didn't get up until 5:10. Once again I was dreading this part because I thought he'd be actually hungry by now and want to eat and just scream and scream. But I told myself it was just 50 minutes, this wont be too bad. So anyways I got up re-wrapped him again, put his soother in, patted his bum and he was still crying so I left the room. I told myself I was going to wait 5 minutes before going back in....I only made it 3 haha So I went in put his soother in and patted his bum and he calmed down so I left but one minute later he started crying again. This time I made it FOUR minutes (you should all be proud of me) before going back in. I seriously looked at the clock and was like okay its 5:14 count to 60, ok now it's 5:15 count to 60 again. So I went back in put his soother in patted his bum but he was pretty mad this time so I picked him up bounced him a bit but he wasn't calming down so I put him in his crib tried patting his bum again but he started screaming louder so I just left the room and like a minute or two later he was asleep and slept until 6:30! In a few days I might trying waiting longer to go back in to see if he can fall asleep without me putting his soother in.

All in all it wasn't anywhere near as bad or traumatic as I thought it was going to be and like I said maybe I'm not doing it the most efficient way but it's the way that is working for me right now since I don't feel like I can let him cry it out yet. In a couple weeks if he's stopped waking up for that feeding and stopped crying then we're going to tackle the other night time feeding. Yay us! And maybe just maybe if we conquer that we'll start working on his naps. Then instead of 5, 40 min naps he will have 2, 1.5 hour ones! One can only hope haha

And just incase you wanted to see some pictures of Roczen :) These are all off my phone





Love that he still does this


mid sneeze haha

baby thug life


so happy in the mornings


hugging his monkey








1 comment:

  1. Don't feel bad about holding him and not letting him cry. That means you are a good Mom! Babies can't be spoiled. I sleep trained my first two because I thought I had too, since everyone did it. But with Benny I didn't. If I could go back I wouldn't have let Clark and Nolan cry-it out. Oh well! Live and learn I guess!

    ReplyDelete